With the snow falling outside right now, your lawn mower is likely the furthest thing from your mind.
But if you purchased a lawn mower between 1994 and 2012 – you could be entitled to CASH COMPENSATION!
The Class Action
In 2010, class action proceedings began against various lawn mower and lawn mower motor engine manufacturers. These class actions claimed that the companies who manufactured the engines and the law mowers containing them, knowing mislabeled products to shower a higher horsepower rating than what was actually in the lawn mower.
The lawn motor and lawn mower engine manufactures involved in this class action are Briggs & Statton, Electrolux, Honda, Husqvarna, John Deere, Kawasaki, Kohler, MTD, Tecumseh and Toro. See the FAQ’s section of the claims website for a complete list of brands of lawn mowers which may be eligible for compensation.
Who Can Receive A Payment
Persons in Canada are eligible to make a claim if:
- you purchased a gas-powered walk-behind or riding lawn mower designed, manufactured or labelled by any defendant* which contains a gas combustible engine labelled at 30 horsepower or less (“Lawn Mower”);
- you purchased the Lawn Mower between January 1, 1994 and December 31, 2012; and
- you purchased the Lawn Mower in Canada.
You DO NOT need any documentary proof to make a simplified claim. If you have proof of purchase and/or horsepower you may be entitled to additional compensation.
How Much Will I Get
1. End Users Providing a Declaration without Further Proof – Those who provide a simplified claim form regarding their Lawn Mower purchase(s) without any documentary proof will be eligible for $15 per claimant.
2. End Users Providing Proof – Those who provide a standard claim form with proof of purchase or proof of the horsepower rating regarding their Lawn Mower(s) will receive the following, per Lawn Mower:
- $15 – Any Lawn Mower with proof of purchase but without proof of horsepower rating
- $20 – Any walk-behind Lawn Mower with proof of horsepower rating of under 5 horsepower
- $35 – Any walk-behind Lawn Mower with proof of horsepower rating of 5 horsepower or more
- $45 – Any riding Lawn Mower with proof of horsepower rating of under 18 horsepower
- $55 – Any riding Lawn Mower with proof of horsepower rating of 18 horsepower or more
What Information You Will Need
A simplified claim for $15 per person can be completed in approximately 5 minutes. You will need to complete a short claim form containing some basic particulars of your lawn mower purchase. This information includes the lawn mower make, engine make, and the year of purchase.
To be eligible for increased compensation, you will need to complete a standard claim form supported by proof of purchase and/or proof of horsepower. This type of proof includes receipts, invoices, photos, purchase records, serial numbers, warranty documents, product registration documents, rebate documents, repair invoices, or any other comparable verification that is acceptable to the Claims Administrator. These claims will be evaluated and compensated on a per lawn mower basis.
You have until May 22, 2019 to file your claim.
Claimants have the choice of receiving payment via eTransfer or by standard check.
It can take up to 1 year after the claims deadline for payments to be issued as each claim has to be individually verified & the monies allocated accordingly.