I love the Holidays. I mean, I REALLY LOVE the Holidays.
But does it not seem like Christmas comes a little earlier every year? It’s referred to as The Christmas Creep.
Every year, the stores are trying to get people in the spirit and encouraging them to start spending RIGHT NOW, but resist the urge.
Stores such as Costco, are starting to put their Christmas merchandise out when most people are getting ready for Back-to-School!
I know the cute toys and glittery decorations are hard to say no to especially if you find them on sale, but if you wait, the best deals are yet to come!
The Thrifty Thirty: November 20 – December 21
Over the years, we’ve been tracking sales and crunching numbers to find out when the best deals REALLY are, and we’ve found that the absolute lowest prices are almost always within a 30-day time frame we’ve dubbed The Thrifty Thirty.
We definitely encourage shopping slowly throughout the year for small items or odds & ends, but if you want to make it through the holidays with your budget somewhat intact, wait to make those big-ticket-item purchases until this window.
Watch for One Day Deal specials to score great deals on hot items!
The Black Friday Four
10 years ago, Black Friday wasn’t even really a “thing” in Canada. Flash forward to present day, and some people spend their entire YEAR planning their Black Friday Shopping!
And Black Friday isn’t just one day anymore – it’s a whole week-long event! Starting the Monday of Black Friday week, you’ll often start to see Pre-Black Friday Deals at your favourite retailers. But there are FOUR KEY DAYS to shop during The Thrifty Thirty, and we call those The Black Friday Four.
Day 1: Black Friday
- Sales start at the stroke of midnight online (check those time zones!) so make sure you’re ready – a nap the day before is a good idea!
- Know what you’re going after from each retailer, and get an idea where you can find it on their website ahead of time. You’re going to have to be quick, the best deals sell out fast.
- Avoid hitting the stores unless you’re going after a big doorbuster that you’re concerned might sell out quickly at retailers like Walmart or Best Buy. If so, get in line early then head home and finish your shopping online.
- The best of the best deals will happen today – be prepared to do the majority of your shopping in these 24 hours!
Day 2: Small Business Saturday
- Take a break from Big Box and support small business! Local shops may be offering special discounts and sales today
- Some retailers may continue their Black Friday sales on through the weekend so get anything you missed out on, on Friday
Day 3: Rest & Repeat
- Finish up any Black Friday shopping that you have left, today will be the last day for most of the sales
- Sort through what you’ve purchased already and figure out what you have left to do
Day 4: Cyber Monday
- Shop online at many of your favourite retailers for exclusive online Cyber Monday Deals, but realize many of the best deals will have happened on Black Friday.
- Often retailers will offer Free Shipping with no minimum purchase today.
- Most sales start at midnight, make sure you double check your time zones!